The Elgin & Winter Garden Theatre is a National Historic Site constructed in 1913 as a double-decker Vaudeville theatre. In the 1960s, the demand for new technology and new forms of entertainment resulted in the closure of the Winter Garden Theatre and the transformation of the Elgin Theatre into a cinema.
Decades later, the theatre’s rare double-decker design and extraordinary decorative interior gained international attention, and the site was restored as a feature cultural institution.
In 2012, Consullux began providing Lighting consulting services to ERA Architects Inc. for the Elgin and Winter Garden Chandelier. This project’s goal is to reproduce and install a chandelier based on the appearance of the historic fixture. The chandelier is intended to be a historically accurate reproduction. Improvements in electrical energy efficiency and improved life cycle performance through the use of contemporary lamping (halogen, LED, etc.) were considered while making sure aesthetic (quality of light) requirements were met. The fixture shall also comply with any applicable current safety requirements. It was also designed with a winch mechanism so that it can be periodically lowered to orchestra level for regularly scheduled maintenance and re-lamping.